Friday, July 16, 2010


Running. Across the sun-beat sand dunes at a super human speed hand in hand with a friend that was once an enemy. Ripping through the sand and laughing at the people, arn't they silly? Running past a thousand nameless faces, chasing nothing but a dream, arn't we silly? Leaving behind all that once was and what will never hope to be, all I can think of is catching the sun and finally being set free. I can't help but think we're going in circles, Mallory, we have to run faster, faster. Catch me if you can.

Streaking past my hometown and skipping past my window, I dare not see the little girl singing inside. Cringing as I run from all the things I've done, all the little lies and squabbles that are bound to catch up with me sooner or later. Running running running after the golden sun, blind to the raging storm clouds gathering around me. Running in the rain, was there ever such a sunshine? Mallory has all but disappeared. Running, slowly, swimming in a dead-tossed sea of secrets, where are all your false pretenses now, Thunder booms and lightning strikes but all I can think of are all the nameless faces, that singing little girl. The past may be bad to dwell on the present frightens brightly but the future doesn't scare me at all, at all. Drowning in a sea of my own regrets, I cannot hope there still might be a sunshine. Coughing up my nightmares, sinking ever deeper. Mallory stopped following me years ago. Deeper and deeper but still my legs kick and run run run faster and faster, because what is life an eternal race?


All at once the waves stop tossing and the sky stops crying and the clouds whither leaving tiny, hopeful splashes of pink and gold. The ocean drains away until I'm but standing in a puddle of my own livelihood, dry. I've been caught.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting-maybe it is better to be caught so you can stop running. Maybe the puddle of your own livelihood will turn into a river of opportunity-or something like that! Great dream story.
    I have read the dark materials trilogy and did really love the idea of daemons-you are right-that monkey could just be one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so clever! I'd never thought of a river of opportunity. Daemons are awesome, and so is anything by Philip Pullman. I so often forget stories, even good ones, but that one seems to stick by me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a terribly sad dream. i'm so sorry you had to run and run. running in circles in never easy to do. (lovely photo)
    xxx
    ps. thank you for the lovely words you left me! and i do, indeed, take all of the photos you see pasted into my diary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome and thank you, Elly! Your photos are wonderous, and your blog is a new favorite of mine. I had forgotten I'd commented twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Cringing as I run from all the things I've done, all the little lies and squabbles that are bound to catch up with me sooner or later."

    Very familiar with this feeling! Exhilarating yet exhausting; I cannot yet decide if I'd ever want to be caught, for as long as my heart runs wild.

    Well done! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Nayeli! It is the worst feeling but I don't think I am Brave enough to be found out about everything and have my whole heart opened up for everyone to see, and dissect. I think this dream voices my inner desire to be caught but I know it is impossible. x

    ReplyDelete